I enjoyed these… the boyfriend, not as much. But he doesn’t like weird vegetables like green peppers. Hope you saw the sarcasm in that, green bell peppers are not weird at least not to normal people.
They turned out not bad. I could see having fun with these and adding different things/spices for a different taste. For this recipe I used chili tomatoes and some chili powder. Next time I might poke some holes in the green peppers before I fill them up, just to help some of the extra liquid drain while cooking. I wrote this recipe using 5 medium bell peppers, I probably could of used more like 6 – MAYBE 6.5 or 7. I had some filling left, but my peppers were on the smaller side. Stupid store didn’t have any nice ones. Just keep that in mind, not that spare filling is a bad thing… but it would change the calories/nutritional information of each serving.
Stuffed Green Peppers (no rice) Recipe
5 servings, 2 halves (whole pepper) per serving
550 g extra lean ground beef
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, minced
1 1/2 cups yellow corn
1 can (540 ml) canned tomatoes, chili flavor
1 can (146 ml) tomato paste
chili powered, to taste
5 medium green bell peppers
60 g cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown extra lean ground been, onion and garlic. Once cooked stir in corn, tomatoes, tomato paste and chili powder. Let simmer for a couple minutes.
3. While the meat mixture is simmering cut your peppers in half lengthwise, remove white bits, seeds and stems. Place in shallow baking dish… really use whatever dish you want, deep even – go for it! There will be a tiny bit of dripping in the bottom, so maybe don’t use your good pie plate or anything.
4. Fill peppers with meat mixture. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Removed peppers, top with cheese and place back in over for a couple minutes. Until the cheese is melted.
Nutritional Information Stuffed Green Peppers
per 1 serving, 2 halves
12.3 grams fat
5.7 grams fiber
36.5 grams protein
I found the calories very good for the serving size, and I didn’t feel like it needed more cheese or anything. Not that more cheese is every bad… while unless you are trying to lose weight. 😉