From Eat, Shrink and Be Merry – page 160.
I have made this banana bread a few times and it is so delicious. Some of the best banana bread I have ever made. I always replace the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour and never even notice.
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup oat bran
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups mashed rip bananas (3-4)
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray two 8×4 inch pans with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Mix flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix and set aside.
3. Beat together eggs and brown sugar on medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add bananas, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Beat again until well mixed.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not use electric mixer. Fold in nuts and chocolate chips.
5. Divide the batter between the two load banks and bake for 30-35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Nutritional Information per 1 slice.
Makes 8 slices for each loaf, total 16 slices
173 calories, 6.4 grams of fat, 28 grams of carbohydrates, 1.9 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein
Some helpful tips: using ripe bananas is very important as this recipe doesn’t use a lot of sugar. Also, you can add a splash of lemon juice in regular milk to replace buttermilk. I also usually just half this recipe as I don’t need two loaves of banana bread about the house.