The first part of low calorie chocolate cupcakes is NO (did you see that? NO!!) ICING! I know, I know – the icing is the good part, but it has the most calories. So first thing first, scratch icing off the list. I guess that makes these more like chocolate muffins… but anyway on to the recipe and two simple ingredients.
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- Coke Zero (or Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi)
- Pre-heat oven to tempurate listed on your Chocolate Cake Mix package.
- Empty chocolate cake mix in bowl. I used Dr. Oetker Added Touch Chocolate Cake Mix – simply for the fact that is only makes 6-9 cupcakes but you can use any chocolate cake mix you like.
- Then I mixed in the Coke Zero. I did not measure the amount I just added some until the batter seemed right. I used the Coke Zero as a replacement for the egg and oil – NO FAT and LESS CALORIES! You could also use Diet Coke or Pepsi.
- Pour into lined muffin tray. After filling my trays (enough for 9) I topped each one with four chocolate chips for a bit of extra fun!
- Bake in oven for time listed on chocolate cake mix package.
After you have let them cool, enjoy! I thought they turned out pretty well – my boyfriend said they had a bit of a funny taste but there were still good. I found them a bit doughy and dry at the same time – but maybe I didn’t have a enough diet coke. Mine worked out to around 100 calories each – pretty good for a nice rich chocolaty treat! I paired mine with Kraft Fat Free Vanilla Pudding and it was fantastic! I would make these again.